Chesterfield Municipal Almshouses built
The almshouses were built in 1875 from a trust provided by the wills of Thomas Large, George Taylor and Sarah Rose. There were 11 houses, administered by the Chesterfield municipal Trustees for “poor persons of good character”. They were demolished in 1971 to allow a carpark to be available. The residents were rehoused in accommodation on St Helen’s Close, Newbold Road.
Oral history from a current occupant of St Helen’s Close is available
Courtesy of Seaman, Photographer and www.picturethepast.org.uk