Housing & Town Planning Act (Addison Act) 1919
Resulted from the Tudor Walters Committee report of 1917 which dealt with the provision of decent housing after the first world war. The Addison Act provided subsidies for local authorities with the aim of building 500,000 houses within 3 years (Homes fit for Heroes). It resulted in the first houses being built by Chesterfield Borough Council, on St Augustine’s Road in 1920. These houses had a parlour, living room, scullery and three bedrooms. They cost about £1,000 to build excluding the price paid for the land.
A row of timber-built weatherboarded bungalows on Private Drive at Hollingwood. Over 70 of these dwellings, constructed in semi-detached pairs and known locally as ‘Wooden Huts’, were erected after the First World War on Private Drive, Hollingwood Crescent, Troughbrook Road and Station Road. Private Drive, Station Road and Hollingwood Crescent formed a triangle and this area was termed Woodcourt, being named as such on large scale Ordnance Survey maps. This view shows the ‘Huts’ on the west side of Private Drive at its junction with Station Road and is looking south-west.
Many of these houses have now been demolished and in 2012 only nine pairs survived, all in Hollingwood Crescent, and of these one pair had been rebuilt or re-clad in brick. The houses pictured were demolished in the 1970s and others on Station Road disappeared in 1987.
Image courtesy of Derbyshire County Council and www.picturethepast.org.uk